Tashahhud

The MV: The Tashahhud are the words that you recite in the second and fourth raka’s after the second sajud in Salah. Many people just say these words without holding the knowledge of why we say it and what it is about. It is important to know this information. The translation is from here

Arabic text:

Transliteration : At Tahiyyaatu lilaahi was Salawaatu wat tayibaatu
As Salaamu ‘alaika ayyuhan nabiyyu wa rahmatul laahi wa barakaatuh
As Salaamu ‘alainaa wa ‘alaa ‘ebaadillaahis saaliheen,
(Hands on knees, raise right forefinger:) Ash hadu allaa ilaah ilallaah
Wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan ‘abduhuu wa rasuuluh

Translation: All greetings, blessings and good acts are from You, my Lord.
Greetings to you, O Prophet, and the mercy and blessings of Allah.
Peace be unto us, and unto the righteous servants of Allah.
I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah.
And I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger.

Story: During the Isra’ and Mi’raj, when Prophet Mauhammad (pbuh) went form Makkah to Jerusalem and then ascended to the heavens, Prophet Mauhammad (pbuh) arrived at the 7th heaven and Jibreel told him to rise to see Allah SWT.

Prophet Mauhammad (pbuh) said, “Why are you leaving me here? You have come all the way with me.” Jibreel said, ” NO one has passed this veil, you are the only one allowed to pass. If I were to enter with one wing of mine, it would instantly be destroyed.” Allah SWT gave Prophet Mauhammad (pbuh)b a great blessing and honour

So Prophet Mauhammad (pbuh) rose into the presence of Allah SWT, and it is described that between him and Allah SWT was one veil.

Prophet Mauhammad (pbuh) then thought, “I’ve come to the Creator, and I didn’t bring a gift? What could I bring Him? He owns everything!”

So Prophet Mauhammad (pbuh) said to Allah SWT:

At Tahiyyaatu lilaahi was Salawaatu wat tayibaatu”

All greetings, blessings and good acts are from You, my Lord.

Then Allah SWT responded:

“As Salaamu ‘alaika ayyuhan nabiyyu wa rahmatul laahi wa barakaatuh”

Greetings to you, O Prophet, and the mercy and blessings of Allah.”

The Malaikat then said:

“As Salaamu ‘alainaa wa ‘alaa ‘ebaadillaahis saaliheen,”

Peace be unto us, and unto the righteous servants of Allah.

Prophet Mauhammad (pbuh) then said:

“Ash hadu allaa ilaah ilallaah
Wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan ‘abduhuu wa rasuuluh”

I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah.
And I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger.

This is the conversation that we Muslims recite in our Salat daily, that Allah SWT had with the beloved Prophet at such great closeness. Not many people realize its great significance.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Islamic Study

7 Comments on “Tashahhud”

1. May 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM #

hi wats your myspace page

2. February 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM #

As salaamu alaikum brother. May I ask where you got the story behind the at-tashahhud from?

3. CoFounder: (Tahab)
    February 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM #

Jazakullah khair for commenting Hasanah

My imam at my local musjid told me this story

4. naveed allawi
    March 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM #

Dear Tahab It is disrespectful when you say that Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) thought I ve come empty handed. Actually Allah (SWT)doesnot need any wordly things so ZIKR, PRAYERS and CHARITY were the best gifts which have value in front of Allah(SWT). Secondly ask your Imam to give you the reference from where he get the story Quran or hadees JAZAK ALLAH KHAIR

5. CoFounder: (Tahab)
    April 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM #

Naweed

on the part where Prophert Muhammad PBUH said he came empty handed i am sorry but i do bot believe it is disrespectful because it actually happened, Prophet Muhammad PBUH knows that he can’t bring anything to Allah SWT because Allah SWT owns everything.

About ZIkr, prayers and chairty, you are right, Allah doesn’t need them but we need them. we need to pray do zikr and charity. Allah gives us everything and Allah does not need anything in return but regardless we have to do zikr, charity and prayers because Allah SWT ordered us to do it and it benefits in this life and the hereafter.

The point of his coming empty handed is that it shows Allah’s greatness and the blessing that Prophet Muhammad PBUH recieved. He PBUH is going into meet Allah SWT where only one veil separates him with Allah SWT. Muhammad PBUH will be the closest creation to have ever gone that close before. If you were about to enter through one of the creator’s last veils would not feel that u should have brought something because he gave you this immense blessing and then realize you couldn’t?

Thank for the tip on references ill take that into account the next time i get a lecture from him.

Jazakullah Khair you for your feedback

Allah knows best

6. meen
    January 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM #

Salam. In response to your question, if i had the opportunity to get that close, I’ll prostrate in reverence. May Allah forgive my speech if I have erred

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Prayed for the first time - August 25, 2012

[...] with the beloved Prophet at such great closeness. Not many people realize its great significance http://themuslimvoice.wordpress.com/…/30/tashahhud/ Can't find the original I read but it is similar to the one on this blog..& that's how [...]