What Breaks Your Fast

MV: Since Ramadan has approached us it is important for us to know how your fast can be broken.  It does not take much to break your fast, you can miss a daily prayer or you can tell a lie. no matter what this month is sacred you should take this chance to forgive your sins.

Any of the following invalidates the fast:

• Intentional consumption of food, drink, medicine, or smoking during the fasting.
  • Any injection which has some nutritional value.
  • Telling lies about Allah and or His Messenger (pbuh)

The conditions mentioned above invalidate fasting and require “Qada” (making up only the missed day or days). However, intentional intercourse during the hours of fasting invalidates fasting and not only requires “Qada” but also additional penalty (Kaffara-see the explanation of this below).

What does not break the fast:

Inshallah these things are permissible

• Eating or drinking by mistake, unmindful of the fast.
  • Unintentional vomiting.
  • Swallowing things which are not possible to avoid, such as one’s own saliva, street dust, smoke, etc.
  • Brushing the teeth.
  • Bathing: if water is swallowed unintentionally, it does not invalidate the fast. However, while fasting gargling should be avoided.
  • Injection or I/V (Intravenous) which is solely medicinal and not nutritional.
  • In some special circumstances if the food or drink is just tasted and immediately removed out of the mouth without allowing it to enter into the throat.

Anyone who eats and drinks deliberately during the day in Ramadaan with no valid excuse has committed a grave major sin (kabeerah), and has to repent and make up for that fast later on. If he broke the fast with something haraam, such as drinking alcohol, this makes his sin even worse. Whatever the case, he has to repent sincerely and do more nafil deeds, fasting and other acts of worship, so as to avoid having any shortfall in his record of obligatory deeds, and so that Allah might accept his repentance.  (www.islamway.com)

What if I accidentally ate or drank something?

If he forgets, and eats and drinks, then let him complete his fast, for Allaah has fed him and given him to drink.  (Reported by al-Bukhaari,Fath, no. 1933). According to another report, He does not  have to make the fast up or offer expiation  (kafaarah).         (www.islamway.com)

Other things that break the fast are only considered to do so, if the following three conditions apply:

1. If a person knows that it breaks the fast and is not ignorant

2: If he is aware of what he is doing and has not forgotten that he is fasting

3. If he does it from his own free will and is not forced to do it

(www.islamway.com)

Remember sins should always be avoided, but especially if you are fasting

Source

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Islamic Study

38 Comments on “What Breaks Your Fast”

1. Haris Naim
    August 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM #

Assalamualaikum. This is a very good post mashallah. I have a question, does ‘immersing the entire head in water’ mean that you cannot take a proper shower and not really allow water on your entire head during the day while fasting?

2. August 11, 2010 at 2:05 PM #

Walaikum Asalam,
    I also had controversy over this issue but after talking to some muslim brothers and other sources its seems that what this article is saying is that acts such as swimming might brake your fast because of the chances of you swallowing water. According to this article: http://www.islamicawakening.com/viewarticle.php?articleID=987
    It says: Swimming is disliked, because it might make one break the fast (by swallowing water). If a person’s work involves diving and he can be sure that he will not get water in his mouth, there is nothing wrong with this.

And also many times when your in a swimming pool you often swallow water by accident but still as the article says its not wrong if you can make sure inshAllah. And also of course taking a shower does not break your fast.

And Allah (SWT) knows best.

3. tahabtalib
    August 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM #

Well swimming is debated if it brakes your fast or not. Showering on the other hand is not immersing the entire head in water. Immersing means to plunge into or place under a liquid; dip; sink. Showering you do not plunge your head into water you simply wash it. washing your head is a part of wadu and therefore it cannot break your fast.

4. hassan
    August 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM #

I’ve questions about the point:

“Missing one of the 5 daily prayers”.

I’ve heard Prayer and Fasting doesn’t depend on one another. In the judgement day we have to separately answering about these two!

5. Rizwan
    August 21, 2011 at 3:11 AM #

just tell me that did the fast break while we make gusal must with hand

6. August 25, 2011 at 1:05 AM #

^No it will not.

7. Arman
    July 21, 2012 at 6:18 AM #

8. Adam
    July 22, 2012 at 6:57 AM #

Assalamualaikum, I have a question. My father works all day long and he tends to miss some of his prayers. Does this break his fast.

9. CoFounder: (Tahab)
    July 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM #

Aselam alikum Adam

Thank you for bringing this up to my intention, the part of this post where it says missing a prayer breaks your fast is wrong. the are actually independent from each other. So your Dad’s fast is not broken because that information was wrong. i am very sorry, May Allah SWT forgive me

Tahab

10. asiyah
    July 27, 2012 at 4:31 AM #

Assalamualaikum I was wondering if you vomit unintentionally but youswallow some of it does this then break your fast? I know it says unintentional vomit does not break your fast but if it is then swallowed does thus mean it breaks the fast?

11. mishall
    July 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM #

what if you make a promise to someone then break it

12. Muhammad Kamal
    July 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM #

Salamu 3alaykoum Wa Rahmitullahi Wa Barakatuh

Ramadan Mubarak!

I was wondering if getting angry for the cause of Allah breaks your fast.

As mentioned in a few Ahadiths. This is a permissible issue for the intention is right.

13. Salisu Mohammed
    July 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM #

Can spraying of perfume break ones fast?

14. CoFounder: (Tahab)
    July 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM #

Assalamualaikum everyone, thank you for commenting

To Asiyah
    If you vomit, and you vomit alot and you swallow some of your vomit i am pretty sure you have broken your fast . You should ask your local imam this question he will give you a better answer, inshallah

To Mishall
    Breaking a promise does not break your fast but it is strongly disliked while you are fasting because it is a sin. You should not commit sins ever, but especially if your fasting.

To Muhammad Kamal
    You should not get angry, but it does not break your fast. it is makruh (strongly disliked). as for getting for Allah’s cause, i am not sure. You should consult your imam at your local musjid.

To Salisu Mohammed
    Spraying perfume does not break your fast. it is sunnah to put on perfure The Prophet PBUH use to put on this special perfume known as Ather(term in urdu im not sure what it is called in arabic). He used to put it on everyday, so it does not break your fast it is actually sunnah.

Remember to ask your local imam’s these questions, they will be delighted to give you a better answer because they are more knowledgeable then me.

Allah knows best

15. itshaan
    August 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM #

Assalamualaikum, i have a question, my dad smokes everyday and i am mostly with him so sometimes that smokes comes to me does it break my fast?

16. Asiya
    August 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM #

Assalamu alaykum,
    I have a question: If a person sleeps while he is fasting and then dreams, so then the water came from him, does this brokes my fasting?

17. Solo
    August 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM #

What of the case of drugs that need to be taken every day for diseases like HIV, missing a dose can lead to the virus getting immunity to the treatment. Does taking this kind of drug break the fast. The illness itself does not prevent fasting as it is only at the infection stages but not taking the drug could mean developing drug resistance and it attendant risk of excalating the disease.

18. April 21, 2013 at 6:21 AM #

Your should see something similar to the illustration above.

An easier way to ensure someone is ‘out of sight out of mind’ on
    Facebook is to simply hide them. Follow the installation process after the download is
    complete.

19. May 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM #

Both drugs have also been denied FDA approval the first time around and are awaiting news on their second attempt.
    Withdrawal from levothyroxine can be done but it takes 6 weeks of withdrawal for the remaining thyroid tissue to
    be completely starved. Hence, broccoli is a must-add ingredient in your vegetarian weight
    loss diet.

20. May 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM #

Both drugs have also been denied FDA approval the first time
    around and are awaiting news on their second attempt. It’s old
    news that tracking food intake could lead to losing a few pounds [2].
    Many people don’t have the time to weight themselves every day, but checking the scale on a regular basis can definitely help when you’re working to
    lose weight and keep it off.

21. May 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM #

With the time spent in online game communities and multiplayer games,
    players get the opportunity to make new relationships and strengthen the existing ones.
    However, antivirus problems like Avast often conflict with Real – Arcade
    games due to the following error or virus detection:
    . You will fight crime, catch the bad guys in your webs, and
    try to avoid traps set by villains like the Green Goblin and Rhino.

22. May 14, 2013 at 6:32 AM #

For many regions, the entire rpm distributed free of charge STB The costs
    have been overwhelmed, and then implementation of the Reconstruction of two-way
    network, the funding is clearly beyond its capability.

Listening to Internet radio is a breeze for anyone who’s familiar with the World Wide Web. Back in the day, people had little choice but to take what was given to them as their “lot in life.

23. May 16, 2013 at 2:19 AM #

For many regions, the entire rpm distributed free of charge STB
    The costs have been overwhelmed, and then implementation of the Reconstruction of two-way network, the funding is clearly beyond its capability.
    According to online music provider Pandora the legislation will help end the discrimination against internet radio.
    Having had my nearby store shut down recently I looked around for
    another place where I could get my gear from
    but unfortunately could not find any good outlets even remotely close
    to my home so started looking online.

24. May 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM #

This is because it gives you more precise targeting opportunities, lets you combine audio ads with synchronized banners and buttons
    to maximize visibility and retain attention, lets
    your listeners take an immediate action (after all, they are
    only a click away from your site) and puts you in control of your advertising campaign (you can pay the service provider on the basis of the
    actual number of impressions). Some models, if they are equipped with remote start, will allow the customer to start the engine through the app wirelessly, doing so from any
    place where there is a cell phone signal available. They explained how banners are bought via a network so they get low CPMs, an obscene amount of views and a good click-through
    ratio.

25. June 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM #

When we choose to do the opposite of nothing, then we can do something to help others and make a difference.
    Understanding video gaming is a must tip on how to run a game store.
    Online gaming is a popular way to spend enjoyable time at
    a low cost for hours on end.

26. Nathier
    July 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM #

Fasting is to abstain from food and drink? Why is smoking not permitted during fasting? I have read all the responses from the masses but not one can answer the question. Yes smoking is bad for you but is also an addiction that is very difficult to just leave it, as a chain smoker it makes my fasting extremely difficult as i get very agitated very quickly that leads to arguing and even swearing and that nullifies my fast!!

So while abstaining from all food and drink during daylight hours and having the occasional cigarette i am able to fast without getting agitated or upset, i am very concerned however that on the occasional days during the fasting month that i do have the odd cigarette… why is my fast broken if i had a few puffs to control my anger and frustration, what all non smokers are not understanding is that nicotine is a mild drug and is not easy just to leave, yes the smoking patches does help but does not solve the problem. What i cannot understand and no where in all the scriptures is there anything that stipulates that you must refrain from smoking while fasting, believe me i have researched this intensively and really require an answer to help all chain smokers!! I also want my rosa to be accepted by abstaining from food and drink and if the occasional cigarette helps me to go through the day without swearing,shouting etc why is my fast not accepted?? Surely it is worse to make other muslims fast makrooh because of my addiction? Smoking calms my addiction and makes my thirst and hunger even more intense and i am still able to go without food and drink.

Please help as i really guidance here!!

27. Sarah
    July 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM #

Assalumailkom
    I just wanted to ask if phlegm comes up from your throat and you swallow it is that okayy and also if you burp the food that you ate is that okayy as well or do I have to make up my fast?

28. abdi
    July 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM #

What about if you want to mastarbate(wank) while your fasting does that break your fast

29. Abdirahman Ali hussien Jabir Mohamed
    July 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM #

Ofcourse it does

30. fdfdfdf
    July 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM #

i mean i wasn’t sure that it breaks my fast now i am so that mean my fast was void????

31. aayah
    July 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM #

Assalamu alaykum,
    i am wondering does putting on lip gloss brack your fast

32. aayah
    July 24, 2013 at 2:04 AM #

or lip balm

33. Noor
    July 25, 2013 at 3:41 AM #

We are oringaly from portland oregon and came to vancouver washington to leave for a ramndan vacation and we are dealing with some bisnness back in portland that needs to be handled every 2 weeks or so, there is 21 miles from our two locations, Does this break our fast?

34. July 7, 2014 at 6:20 AM #

what makes your fasting break can you plzz tell me a list of it

35. garba ibrahim
    July 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM #

Salam alaikum. I have a question and it goes like, I was communicating with my girl friend ans she said some nasty things and when I went to the toilet to pies I feel some creamy liquid after the pies is my fasting ok

36. Ava
    July 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM #

Salam
    I don’t understand much about the Islam and their rules but in my own experience my Husband is Muslim and he is mad with me almost everyday and he pray most of the time 5 times a day….before and after he pray most of the times he is mad for different reasons that I beleive they are small things like he came and maybe his food is not done.

37. Ava
    July 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM #

Yet or is not done the way he wants.

38. Maryam
    August 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM #

What happens if i drank some water during a sunnah fasting by mistake without checking time to see if it was fajr? I was sleeping, and woke up and drank water because i was sure it wasn’t fajr yet. But then i checked the time and found out it was.